Acne is one of the most common skincare problems seen by doctors and clinics. Acne typically occurs skin becomes clogged. In a lot of cases, bacteria present in the skin can also make acne appear redder, because it irritates the skin. Acne doesn’t just appear as pimples, it can also look like blackheads, whiteheads, and cysts. Acne usually appears on the face and neck but you can even get it on shoulders, back and arms.
- Picking and squeezing leads to scarring and a lot of irritation. Do wash your face once or twice daily, especially before bed to wash off makeup and dirt.
- Make sure to apply sunscreen, as skin is much more sensitive to UV rays when you use acne products.
- Use oil-free makeup, especially if you have sensitive skin. If you can, give your skin a break and go make-up free every once in a while.
- Wash your pillow case and sheets often, as they absorb oil and dirt and these can transfer onto your skin.
- Wash makeup brushes with cleaner specific for those types of products to ensure they get really clean.
- When washing your face, don’t scrub too hard as this can irritate skin and make acne worse.
- Pay attention to what your skin needs. If you’re very oily, make sure to use products specifically formulated for that. If you have very sensitive skin and it gets red quite easily, make sure to find products that are fragrance-free.